Saturday 31 July 2010

You can't hate the roots of a tree...

"You can't hate the roots of a tree without hating the tree; you can't hate your origin without hating yourself" - Malcom X

I remember a while back, like a good 6 years ago, my Caribbean friend at the time said to me, ‘you have really nice hair; why is your hair so nice?’ With a confused face I just shrugged, ‘I don’t know, all the girls in my family have nice hair so I guess it’s in my genes’, then she had the nerve to say, ‘…but you’re African!’ *pause* What did this girl just say to me?! Yeah, I pulled the same face you probably just did! But I didn’t go crazy on her, I understood that she spoke out of ignorance and from a mind programmed to perceive everything African in a negative light. It did really get to me though, and it frustrated me knowing that generations of people shared her mentality. Anyways, no one could ever say something like that to me now and get away with it, I would fly kick ‘em! I love everything African, it was the only way I could love myself properly.

Here are two Malcom X speeches that I really love; a lot more people should hear it.





2 comments:

Chilli Kayenne Pepper said...

I know exactly what you mean. One time I was with a few of my Jamaican friends in class, and a new kid came, and he was dark skinned. And then one of my friends was like, "Oh he must be African" I looked at he like, 'whats that supposed to mean.' and she obviously got my look, so then she said, "Well Africans are dark" I was actually a little pissed, because I know a lot of Africans that are really light skinned that they can even pass for mixed breeds. Anyways the guy turned out to be a Jamaican...LOL.

Unknown said...

haha, he was jamaican, dats funny! :) x

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...